- If you haven't heard by now, Bol Bol is going to be one of the most fascinating prospects in the 2019 NBA Draft Class. The Freshman who played one year of college basketball at Oregon is one of the most intriguing talents in recent draft classes. The son of former NBA legend Manute Bol, it's not difficult to see where Bol Bol gets his impressive combination of size and offensive potential from. Not often in draft classes do you find a prospect that is truly defined as a boom or bust draft pick. As one former NBA executive said previously, Bol Bol is the type of prospect that gets a GM fired. A long line of lower body injuries paired with the fact that Bol Bol missed more than half of his freshman year with a lower stress fracture will have NBA teams worried. The range on Bol Bol is massive. Some teams view him as a second-round pick while some see him going in the lottery. No prospect in recent memory, other than Joel Embiid, will have a bigger medical evaluation than Bol Bol. What organization is going to take their chance with the physical specimen?
- Yes, you are reading all of those numbers correctly. The height and wingspan are correct. You are now allowed to pick your jaw up off of the floor. The one part that is worrisome is the weight here. Bol Bol was listed at Oregon at 235 pounds which means he's lost close to 30 pounds since recovering from his stress fracture. Definitely, something that NBA teams will be worrisome of.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Bol Bol checks all of the boxes from a production standpoint and to be honest...some of these numbers are absolutely ridiculous for a prospect of his position and measurements. Especially when you are looking at a big man that can shoot above 50% from deep. You simply just don't see that ever. Whatever team takes a chance on Bol Bol is getting a potential gamechanger on the offensive side of the ball. But will his thin frame hold up over time, that's going to be the million dollar question.
vs EWU 11.9.18
RUNNING THE FLOOR
- Right off the bat, you'll see that Bol Bol will impress you with his combination of frame and athleticism. You just don't see players that are 7'2" move like this. Bol Bol gets down the floor in a hurry and runs the floor like a guard here, then he shows us an emphatic slam.
POST UP GAME PART I
- While he's going to need to develop his lower body strength at the next level, here we get a good glimpse at his ability as a scorer in the post. There's an impressive amount of quickness to his game as well. His shooting ability makes him a potential threat at the NBA level.
- Yes, we get to see that 7'7" wingspan on full display here. This almost looks as if it's a video game sequence. We will go ahead and give you a second to rewatch that play 5 times.
at HOUSTON 12.1.18
- While some of the "coaches" out there might question this shot selection, let's just use it for a second to demonstrate Bol Bol's shooting ability. Then remind yourself that he's 7'2" with a high release.
- This is a good clip here to show you the impact that Bol Bol can make in a variety of aspects on the defensive side of the ball. Good active feet here, and I like seeing him active with his hands. Too many players keep their hands at their sides, not realizing the impact it has on an opposing player.
POST UP GAME PART II
- Good look here at Bol Bol getting a quick post up opportunity and then we get a preview of his quickness and footwork. This looks easy but only a player with impressive length can pull off a move like this from where he "takes off". If Bol Bol can prove that he can develop strength in his lower body, these are the types of plays that can make him a special offensive threat.
vs USD 12.12.18
- There is no denying that Bol Bol can shoot it from outside. Some evaluators might even say that he tends to fall in love with floating around the perimeter. Still, a player with his size can be an incredible weapon from all over the floor with shooting ability like this.
POST UP GAME PART III
- Obviously, basketball coaches watching this clip will cringe with how high Bol Bol has his dribble but I think it's important to show Bol demonstrating some physicality inside. Good job to show some patience here and some nice footwork from the big fella.
OFF THE DRIBBLE
- Another clip that might have some questioning the shot selection...but we need to look at the bigger picture here. The fact that a 7 foot 2 big man can make this type of explosive move is impressive in general.
POST UP GAME PART IV
- This running hook by Bol Bol is his bread and butter and with that frame, it very much should be. It will be important to see if Bol Bol can show physicality in the inside because teams aren't going to want him to fall in love with floating on the perimeter.
This is going to be one of the top boom or bust prospects in the draft, as we stated earlier. Some people have said Bol Bol is the type of prospect that can get a GM fired...and it's hard to disagree with that. Reports have said that Bol Bol might have the biggest draft range in terms of NBA circles of any player in this class. Some have him as a projected lottery pick while others believe he belongs in the 2nd round. The talent is special, there is no denying that...but can his frame withstand over a long NBA career? We will soon find out, but no player will have a more desired medical evaluation than Bol Bol.