Get your wallets out. Your favorite NBA Star is coming to town. It doesn't matter if this player is on the opposing team, you're ready to potentially witness greatness on the hardwood.
Admit it, once that NBA schedule comes out...you're circling every possible game in which you might just pay a little extra in order to see a player on the opposing team. I know you do. You'd be a pretty weird person if you didn't. It's almost a tradition with any basketball fan. "When does (insert player here) come to town?"
So that got us thinking...what would be our top 5 players to reach a little deeper in our wallets and pay to see live in action? There's a long list of candidates, so without any more distractions let's get into a juicy debate.
THE CANDIDATES FOR OUR HARD EARNED MONEY
- Right off of the bat, we start out with The Terminator. Now allow me to throw a little bit of personal experience here for the uneducated readers out there. I have been fortunate enough over my basketball life to watch a large quantity of NBA players go through their pregame warm-ups. I have NEVER seen anyone so impressive as the Klaw. If you thought Leonard was a robot in real life...go early to a basketball game and watch his routine. Leonard is literally the terminator with his pregame preparation. He seems to land in the exact same place with his footwork on each and every shot. It's insane to even try to describe. Kawhi might not be the "splashiest" selection on this list, but from a basketball fanatic perspective, it's worth the big bucks.
VERDICT: Yes, pay extra to see one of the best players in the NBA.
- Um...Yes. We might be crazy here at Backcourt Violation but we aren't THAT crazy.
VERDICT: Very large yes.
- Oh, do NOT threaten me with a good time. I'm about to get some heated readers with this verdict. I can feel it already. While Kyrie is one of the most entertaining players in the entire NBA when he's cooking, there's risk these days especially, to watching him dribble 43 times in each possession. Look, I'm not doubting Kyrie's ability. He's one of the most incredible ball handlers and shot creators in this league. But RIGHT NOW, if we are limiting this list to our Top 5...is he really in it?
VERDICT: Save your money for groceries.
- Luka is quickly becoming one of the best players in the NBA and it might not be long before this is his league. Yes, there's a hot take for you. Doncic is incredible to watch and makes a number of plays on a nightly basis that has you laughing or spitting out your drink. Maybe that's just me. Whether he's pulling step back threes from deep or making sensational passes, Luka is worth your money.
VERDICT: Yes, sit back and enjoy all the Luka you can.
- I'm passing on this one. (Did you see what I did there?). Okay, all poor jokes aside, Harden is INCREDIBLY talented and one of the most elite offensive players in this game. But from a pure viewing perspective, there's a lot of Kyrie Irving in this analysis. Harden is an elite target to watch highlights of, but he's also a threat to go 4/20 from the field. It's a risky proposition for your money, and he's a sure bet to spend plenty of the night at the Free Throw line. Hey, if you thrive for Free Throws in person...be my guest.
VERDICT: Tough one, but pass.
- People that are built like this aren't supposed to be able to do the things that Giannis can do on the basketball court. Another personal experience, I saw Giannis play Golden State live during the early part of his career and standing next to him...you don't truly understand how monstrous that human-being is until you see it in person. That was also before he put on the ridiculous amount of muscle over the years. The Greek Freak also has the potential to dribble the ball three times up the whole floor and take off from near the free-throw line...which is ridiculous. Yes, take my money.
VERDICT: Yes, Take my wallet...all of it.
- Very easy yes here folks. Let's not sugar coat this one. Steph might pull up from half-court and he's one of the most terrifying shooters to have on an opposing team. For all of you saying "well he's hurt right now..." you must be fun at parties...
VERDICT: Yes, Max out my credit card I don't care.
- A bit of a wildcard here and I think Trae Young is quickly entering this conversation in a serious matter right now. At this moment, Trae is outside of my Top 5 but he's gaining a lot of momentum with his play as of late. Young is quickly turning into another version of Steph Curry, or someone that wows you with his shooting ability and playmaking on a nightly basis. For now, I'll keep the wallet safe...but I wouldn't argue with anyone that puts Young in their Top 5.
VERDICT: No...for now.
IN REVIEW...PLAYERS THAT GET MY MONEY
- Kawhi Leonard
- Lebron James
- Giannis Antetokounmpo
- Steph Curry
- Luka Doncic